Introduction, specifications, unboxing
The Xiaomi 12 flagship trio has finally gone global and we are happy to have all three Xiaomi 12 models in our office. Having looked at the Xiaomi 12 Pro and Xiaomi 12, let’s now prepare for our in-depth inspection of the Xiaomi 12X. It’s like a lite version of the Xiaomi 12, but it’s a high-performance model where the only thing light is its weight.
In fact, the Xiaomi 12X is an incredibly compact and lightweight smartphone that’s a feast for the eyes (and hands) in this 2022. We’ve always been fans of this form factor and we never miss an opportunity to have a decently sized phone in our hands and pockets.
Obviously, the 12X is identical to the Xiaomi 12 in everything but the chipset. This means that it is the same size, weight and colors. We can only think of the Xiaomi 12 as the redundant phone of the trio – it packs the most powerful hardware available in a small body and under a 1080p display. And let’s face it – that’s overkill, and worse, throttling. It’s like putting a Ferrari engine in a Beetle.
That and the lower price make the Xiaomi 12X a more appealing phone to explore. It has a solid chipset, a premium display, up-to-date photo capabilities, and fast charging.
Okay, of course we’re excited about the Xiaomi 12X, so let’s get down to business.
The Xiaomi 12X, just like the Xiaomi 12, offers a 6.28-inch AMOLED screen with Full HD resolution, 120Hz dynamic refresh rate, 480Hz touch response, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision support as well as Gorilla Glass Victus protection. This is the first panel on a mobile phone to come with native 12-bit color support for every pixel, allowing for the display of over 68 billion colors (take a look at that number)! This is the right way to really enjoy Dolby Vision.
Then we have the Snapdragon 870 5G, which has proven to be one of the most desirable flagship chipsets due to its quality performance and great battery efficiency.
The triple camera setup on the rear is the same as the Xiaomi 12 – it has a 50MP OIS primary, a 13MP ultrawide and a 5MP telephoto camera with AF for some proper close-ups. 8K video recording is available alongside many other recording modes. The front camera uses a 32-megapixel sensor.
The Xiaomi 12X offers a Harman Kardon stereo speaker setup with Dolby Atmos support, which is a great complement to the Dolby Vision display. The phone comes with a 4,500mAh battery that supports 67W Mi Fast Charging – another premium extra worth checking out.
And here comes the complete data sheet of the Xiaomi 12X.
Xiaomi 12X specs at a glance:
- Body: 152.7 x 69.9 x 8.2mm, 176g; Gorilla Glass Victus front, glass back, aluminum frame.
- Advertisement: 6.28″ AMOLED, 68B colors, 120 Hz, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 1100 nits (peak), resolution 1080 x 2400 pixels, aspect ratio 20:9, 419 ppi.
- chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm): Octa-Core (1 x 3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3 x 2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4 x 1.80 GHz Kryo 585); Adreno 650.
- Reminder: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- Operating system/software: Android 11, MIUI 13.
- Backup camera: wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.9, 26mm, 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS; ultra wide angle: 13 MP, f/2.4, 12mm, 123˚, 1/3.06″, 1.12µm; macro: 5MP, f/2.4, 50mm, AF.
- Front camera: 32MP, f/2.5, 26mm (wide), 0.7µm.
- Video recording: backup camera: 8K@24fps, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/120/240/960fps, Gyro EIS; Front camera: 1080p at 30/60 fps, 720p at 120 fps, HDR.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Quick charge 67W, 100% in 39 min (announced), Power Delivery 3.0, Quick Charge 4.
- Various: fingerprint reader (under the display, optical); infrared port.
There’s one obvious omission, and that’s the ingress protection rating. Xiaomi hasn’t given an official rating for the Xiaomi 12X or the 12, but we can confirm that the phones are splash-proof. This is by no means real water protection, but the 12X is not completely exposed to the elements either.
The lack of a zoom camera, or at least lossless zoom, is also a little confusing, given the 12X’s power to process and crop high-resolution photos on the go.
Despite these question marks, the Xiaomi 12X looks like one of the most attractive smartphones out there due to its excellent balance of high-end features, performance and price. So, without further ado, here is the Xiaomi 12X.
Unboxing the Xiaomi 12X
The Xiaomi 12X comes packaged in a white paper box, just like most recent Xiaomi phones. Inside you’ll find a 67W charger and a 6A USB-to-USB-C cable.
As usual, the retail package also comes with a soft transparent case, and we always appreciate that extra accessory.
Finally, the Xiaomi 12X arrives with a thin film applied to the screen’s Gorilla Glass. It’s a smudge magnet, but it also keeps scratches at bay – we leave it up to you to keep it or peel it off.
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_12x-review-2395.php Xiaomi 12X Review – Tests by GSMArena.com