Wout Weghorst completes loan deal with Manchester United after breaking Besiktas’ ban

Manchester United have announced the signing of Burnley striker Wout Weghorst on loan until the end of the season.

Weghorst, 30, has joined Old Trafford after abandoning his loan deal at Turkish club Besiktas, where he has scored nine goals in 18 games.

United, who will take on Weghorst’s salary and have no option or obligation to buy, have paid Burnley a £2.6million loan fee. Burnley ended his loan deal with Besiktas by paying a €2.825m (£2.5m) compensation fee.

Weghorst said: “I feel privileged to join Manchester United. I’ve played against the club in the past and it’s a fantastic feeling to now have the chance to put on the famous red shirt. I’ve seen United’s progress under Erik ten Hag this season and I can’t wait to do my part to bring the team closer to their goals.

“Whatever happens in the next few months, I can promise to give my all for the club while I’m here.

“Thank you to everyone who has helped get me to this level and now I look forward to meeting my new teammates and joining right away.”

John Murtough, United’s director of football, added: “Wout has a consistent goalscoring record in several European leagues and his attributes will add another dimension to our squad for the remainder of the season.

“We were also drawn to his strong personality and dedicated approach to football, which fits perfectly with the spirit that Erik is building in our squad. He has shown a great desire to join Manchester United and be part of what we want to achieve this season.”

The Netherlands international, who scored twice against eventual winners Argentina at the 2022 World Cup, has been signed to fill the void left by Cristiano Ronaldo.

Besiktas said in a statement on Friday: “The temporary transfer deal with our footballer Wout Weghorst and his club has been terminated by mutual agreement between the player and his club.

“A termination fee of €2,825,000 (£2.5 million) will be paid to our company as a result of Burnley’s early termination of the contract.”

The Turkish side had been waiting to field a replacement before Weghorst was allowed to leave. The club are in talks with Al Nassr’s Vincent Aboubakar and are hoping for a deal.

Ronaldo’s arrival at Al Nassr – after his United contract was mutually terminated in November – left Aboubakar’s future in Saudi Arabia uncertain.

Weghorst spent the first half of the 2022/23 season at Besiktas after Burnley were relegated to the Championship in May.

He played in the Premier League for Burnley in the second half of last season when they were relegated. The striker scored two league goals in 20 games during his previous spell in England.

Weghorst was not signed in time to face Manchester City on Saturday but could make his debut on Wednesday when Ten Hag’s side travel to Crystal Palace.

go deeper

GO DEEPER

Wout Weghorst on Manchester United: That’s what he offers

(Photo: Getty Images)

https://theathletic.com/4084894/2023/01/13/wout-weghorst-manchester-united-loan/ Wout Weghorst completes loan deal with Manchester United after breaking Besiktas’ ban

Russell Falcon

TheHitc is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@thehitc.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button