It’s a £1.5 million Derby, it’s just a few weeks away, and whilst the full list of runners is set to be revealed at a special event on June the first, we already know many of the riders and jockeys who will be participating in one of England’s most prestigious horse racing meets.
Horse racing meets are something of a social event in England – crowds of more than 100,000 people are common at events like this, and the police and venue are currently planning security and facilities for up to 125,000 glamorous guests, dressed in their finest outfits, and of course, their most extravagant hats.
The Epsom Derby takes place on the first Saturday in June each year and consists of five classic races. Whilst the Derby itself is clearly the highlight of the day, the other four races are also classic events which will feature only the very best horses and riders from around the UK – getting a place at Epsom is notoriously difficult, and those that make it know that success here is likely to lead to an amazing future, so every rider will be giving it everything they’ve got, resulting in five of the most exciting horse races to take place each year. I suspect that there will be millions of racing fans just itching to get their hands on the full Epsom Derby race card 2022 on June the first!
When and where will the Epsom Derby by Held?
The Derby will be held at Epsom Downs racecourse in leafy Surrey, a suburb just outside the capital of London. This year’s event is sponsored by Cazoo, so is officially known as the Cazoo derby, but we’ll stick to keeping it to the Epsom Derby to keep things simple! The Epsom Derby will also be hosting one or two special events to mark the Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, so you can be sure that the 2022 Derby will be even more special than a typical year.
The Derby kicks off on Friday 3rd June, which will be the ever-popular Ladies Day. You can expect this first event to be jam packed with stunning women dressed in their finest outfits. As much as everyone loves to see gorgeous women in beautiful dresses, the main event is of course the Derby itself. This will take place on Saturday 4th of June, with six other races also taking place creating a day of fantastic racing action, including the Greatest Flat Race in the world.
Ladies Day (Friday, 3rd June 2022)
- 11AM – Gates Open
- 2PM – Cazoo British EBF Woodcote Stakes (Six Furlongs)
- 2:35PM – The World Pool Handicap Stakes (One Mile + 113 Yards)
- 3:10PM – Coronation Cup Group One (One Mile + Four Furlongs)
- 3:45PM – Cazoo Handicap Stakes (One Mile + 2 Furlongs)
- 4:30PM – Cazoo Oaks Group One (One Mile + Four Furlongs)
- 5:15PM – Surrey Stakes (Seven Furlongs)
- 5:40PM – Cazoo Derby Festival Handicap Stakes (Seven Furlongs)
- 5:40PM – Last Race
Derby Day (Saturday, 4th June 2022)
- 2.00pm – The Cazoo Handicap Stakes 1M 2F
- 2.35pm – The Princess Elizabeth Stakes Group 3 (One Mile + 113 Yards)
- 3.10pm – The Cazoo Diomed Stakes Group 3) (One Mile + 113 Yards)
- 3.45pm – The ‘Dash’ Handicap Stakes Heritage Handicap (Five Furlongs)
- 4.30pm – The Cazoo Derby Group 1 British Champion Series (One Mile + Four Furlongs)
- 5.15pm – The World Pool Northern Dancer Handicap (One Mile + Four Furlongs)
- 5.45pm – The JRA Tokyo Trophy Handicap Stakes (Six Furlongs)
Information is still thin on the ground as to who will be running in this year’s event, but as always you can trust Unibet to get a little bit of inside information from behind the scenes! As far as the Derby itself goes, we know that 43 horses will run including Desert Crown and Stone Age; these two horses are seen as the likely favourites for the main Derby race by pundits such as Frankie Detorri, but Chaingingoftheguard and Piz Badile are both right behind them – things are far from set in stone!
Then we have the Oaks – we know that Galileo’s prodigy Tuesday is set to run and is one of the favourites, but she will have tough competition from Frankel, Emotion, Nashwa, and With the Moonlight, who is being touted as capable of causing a potential surprise upset this popular lady’s day race.
Before you rush to place a bet, however, it’s worth noting that Emily Upjohn is confirmed to be racing and is currently the favourite with most bookmakers at 11/10.