News

Suspect arrested in Sacramento shooting that killed 6 and wounded 12

A suspect was arrested in Sunday’s mass shooting in Sacramento, California, that killed six people and injured a dozen others, police said.

Dandre Martin, 26, has been charged with assault and illegal possession of firearms, according to sources Sacramento Police.

As part of their investigation, authorities issued search warrants in three homes where at least one handgun was found, police said. The surviving victims have wounds ranging from minor to critical.

The shooting in the state capital happened early Sunday shortly after the last call in the busy downtown area. Investigators believe several gunmen opened fire after a large fight.

Police said investigators located at least three buildings and three vehicles that were hit by gunfire during the preliminary investigation of the crime scene. Investigators recovered more than 100 cartridge cases.

More than 100 video or photo files were made available to investigators through the community evidence portal. The Sacramento County Attorney’s Office will review all evidence to determine appropriate charges, police said.

The victims were identified Monday by the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office as Devazia Turner 29; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; Sergio Harris, 38; Johntaya Alexander, 21; Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21; and Melinda Davis, 57.

Harris’ sister Kay Harris, 32, shared the story The Associated Press that she had been sleeping when a family member called to say they feared her brother had been killed.

Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester said the gunshots were heard around 2 a.m. by officers near the scene. Officers rushed to the scene, performed CPR and secured the scene, the police chief said.

At least one city surveillance camera caught some of the violence, the chief said, and investigators noted some buildings in the area were hit by gunfire.

“The level of violence that has just happened in our city is unprecedented in my 27 years with the Sacramento Police Department,” Lester said.

President Joe Biden urged Congress to take more action to combat gun violence after the incident.

“Today America once again mourns another community devastated by gun violence,” he said in a statement Sunday.

“But we must do more than just mourn; we have to take action.”

Mayor Darrell Steinberg called the shooting “a senseless and unacceptable tragedy.”

“Can’t we have a reasonable debate where you say on one side of the line that people who want to use firearms for sport or for hunting or, you know, with proper self-defense on one side of the line and stuff like that next On the other side of the line, are we saying there’s no room for rapid-fire assault weapons anywhere anyway? Steinberg asked. “I mean can we have this? Can we make that distinction?”

City council member Katie Valenzuela tearfully said she was “heartbroken” and “outraged”.

This is breaking news, please check back for updates.

Linda Takahashi contributed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspect-arrested-sacramento-shooting-left-six-dead-12-wounded-rcna22902 Suspect arrested in Sacramento shooting that killed 6 and wounded 12

Caroline Bleakley

TheHitc is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@thehitc.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button