Orange County Health Authorities report the discovery of a second rabid bat last month.
A bat found outside the main lobby of the Kaiser Permanente Medical Building on Alton Parkway in Irvine on Thursday tested positive for rabies, according to the Orange County Health Care Agency.
Given the location and circumstances, the OC Health Care Agency urged residents to be vigilant and avoid contact with bats.
“Contact with bats should be avoided and any possible bat bite should be discussed with a medical provider,” the agency said.
Anyone who had physical contact with this bat or saw someone who had contact with the bat was asked to call the agency’s Communicable Disease Control Division at 714-834-8180 to determine rabies risk.
Pet owners who may have had contact with this bat should contact their veterinarian.
On September 14, a bat found in a parking lot at #1 Pickleball Court at the Fountain Valley Tennis Center at 16400 Brookhurst St. tested positive for rabies.
The rabies virus is found in an animal’s saliva and is transmitted to humans through a bite from a rabid animal. Although very rare, contamination of the eyes, mouth, or an open wound with the saliva of a rabid animal can also transmit rabies.
Most cases of human rabies in the United States in recent years have been attributed to rabies strains from bats; Bats have very small teeth and their bites can go unnoticed. Once a person shows signs and symptoms of rabies, the disease is almost always fatal.
OCHCA and OC Animal Care officials recommend the following actions to minimize the risk of rabies:
- Avoid any contact with wild animals;
- Vaccinate all cats and dogs against rabies;
- Do not sleep with unscreened windows or doors open;
- If bats are seen in the home or other structure, seal off the area and contact the animal welfare agency.
- Don’t leave animal feed outside where it will attract wild animals;
- Wash all animal bites immediately with soap and water, rinse the wound well, and then contact your doctor.
- Report all animal bites to OC Animal Care;
- Report stray animals to OC Animal Care.
https://www.ocregister.com/2022/10/01/rabid-bat-found-outside-lobby-of-kaiser-medical-building-in-irvine/ Rabid bat found outside lobby of Kaiser Medical Building in Irvine – Orange County Register