Bruce Rollinson did not plan for 2022 to be his last season as Mater Dei football coach.
But the season is unfolding as he planned, and it almost looks like he wrote a script for it.
Rollinson, who announced on Nov. 10 that this is his final season as manager of the Monarchs, coached his final game at Santa Ana Stadium last week. He played home games there as a Mater Dei player in the 1960s and has coached the Monarchs home games since becoming the school’s football coach in 1989.
On Friday, Rollinson will coach Mater Dei in the CIF Southern Section Division 1 championship game against St. John Bosco at the Rose Bowl.
He played for USC in the 1970 Rose Bowl game when the Trojans defeated Michigan 10-3 to cap out a 10-0-1 season.
The annual CIF Southern Section Championship football press conference and luncheon was held at the Rose Bowl on Monday, and Rollinson said the visit brought back many memories.
“I used to be on the field today,” Rollinson said, “and it was 52 years ago when I played at the Rose Bowl and all those memories said come back. And I said, “This is amazing,” because I remember coming out of the same tunnel with (coach) John McKay. And 52 years later I will lead my own football team from the same tunnel.”
LIVE BROADCAST OF THE FINALE
Broadcast information for the CIF-SS finals involving Orange County teams. All games start at 19:00 unless otherwise stated:
Division 1: Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco, Friday 7:30 p.m., Televised by Bally Sports SoCal;
Division 3: Yorba Linda vs. Upland, Friday 7:30 p.m. Streamed by Bally Sports Prep Zone;
Division 6: San Jacinto vs. Orange, Friday; NFHS Network;
Division 7: Laguna Hills vs. Golden Valley, Saturday, NFHS Network;
Division 8: Northwood vs. Lakewood, Saturday, NFHS Network;
Division 9: Laguna Beach vs. Diamond Bar, Saturday, NFHS Network;
Division 14, Lynwood vs. Whittier Christian, NFHS Network.
• Yorba Linda quarterback Reyn Beal completed 13 of 14 passes in the Mustangs’ 51-20 win over Corona del Mar in the Division 3 semifinals on Friday. His only incompleteness was a pass knocked down at the line of scrimmage. The Mustangs (13-0) play Friday’s Division 3 championship game at the Upland (9-4). …
• Cypress went 5-0 in the Empire League by an average margin of 33 points to win. Their three playoff wins are separated by two points in the first round, one point in the quarterfinals, and three points in the semifinals. …
• Cypress senior safety Trevor Monteleone said this year’s team is an aggressive group. “We all fly for the ball in defense and we all want to be the first to score,” he said. “On offense we have so many guys who want to be the one who makes the big game.”
• Northwood plays Lakewood in Saturday’s Division 8 Finals. The Timberwolves won the Division 11 championship last season. Northwood running back/linebacker Adam Harper noticed a difference between the two divisions. “The teams in this division are bigger and a lot more physical,” he said. “We are physical too, and we can conform to their physicality.” …
• Whittier Christian’s senior lineman Ian Mgrdichian Roth expects the Heralds’ opponent Lynwood to have a big advantage against the Herlads in Friday’s Division 14 Finals. “I have to focus on making all my right moves,” he said. “Just knowing I’m better than the other guy across from me, which is really important, just having that confidence.”
https://www.ocregister.com/2022/11/21/mater-deis-bruce-rollinson-feeling-sentimental-with-division-1-title-game-at-rose-bowl/ Mater Dei’s Bruce Rollinson is feeling sentimental ahead of the Division 1 title game at the Rose Bowl – Orange County Register