Still interested running for local office? You might just get lucky.
That registration period has been extended for a variety of local races — from school boards to water districts to city councils — until 5 p.m. Wednesday, August 17.
These brief extensions apply to races where eligible incumbents have not applied for re-election (if an incumbent is recalled, there is no extension). The registration period for other races ended on Friday 12 August.
“This is a great opportunity for someone who was initially hesitant to run against an incumbent to throw their hat in the ring,” Orange County voter Bob Page said. His office handles school and special district races, but town clerks administer their local council races.
Candidates wishing to register for a school or special district race by the new deadline may contact das Turn to the electoral roll. Application materials are available at the office at 1300 S. Grand Ave., Building C in Santa Ana.
To register for an extended city council race, contact that city’s clerk or visit the city’s website for information on submitting the required documentation.
Extended races include (not every city may be reflected as candidate submissions are reported online):
— Aliso Viejo City Council
– Anaheim Union High School District, Trust 1
— Anaheim City Council District 6
— Councilor of Brea
— Buena Park City Council District 1
– Capistrano Unified School District, Trustee Area 4
– Cypress School District, Trust Area B
– Fountain Valley School District
– Fullerton School District, Trust 4
– Huntington Beach City Council
– Irvine Unified School District, Trustee Area 2
– Irvine Unified School District, Trusteeship 4
– Laguna Beach Unified School District
– Lake Forest City Council District 2
– Magnolia School District, Trust 1
– Magnolia School District, Trust Area 5
– Newport-Mesa Unified School District, Trustee Area 2
– Newport-Mesa Unified School District, Trustee Area 4
— Orange City Council District 4
– Rancho Santiago Community College District, Trustee Area 4
— Rossmoor/Los Alamitos Sewer District, full-time
— Rossmoor/Los Alamitos sewerage area, short term
– Rossmoor Municipal Service District
— City Councilor of San Clemente
– District 3 of the San Juan Capistrano City Council
– Santa Margarita Water District
— District for Combating Geological Hazards in Santiago
— Silverado-Modjeska Recreation and Park District
– Stanton City Council District 1
– Surfside Colony Storm Water Protection District
— Villa Park Councillor
– Westminster Mayors Race
— Councilor of Yorba Linda
https://www.ocregister.com/2022/08/16/candidate-filing-extended-in-several-local-council-school-board-races/ Candidate enrollment has expanded in several county government and school board races – Orange County Register